Monday 4 June 2012

A Jubilee Weekend of Rain, Food, and Random Tits Through the Bedroom Window...

My first effort at roasted garlic in my garlic roaster
To those unknowing, you may have learnt that this weekend is the anniversary of the Queens Diamond Jubilee.  Sixty years sat on the throne.  A long time in anybodies books, and given the DNA passed down from her mother, there's likely still life in the old girl yet.

Myself, I just saw the opportunity to stay away from work for two extra days, and enjoy some time at home with the family.

Julia had her Mum, Sister and Nephew over for a couple of nights.  There was little planned as a whole, and once the weather came over in the wet variety, there was little done to match as well.  I did have a brief conversation with my uncle about meeting up for the Royal Pageant along the River Thames, where a 1,000 vessels got together to mark the occasion in suitable Royal splendour... this never materialised though, so I opted to stay home with everyone else.

All this heat for only a pound
To be honest, I'm not much of a monarchist anyway, nor like open crowds if I can avoid them, so I wasn't too fussed.  Yet there was still the burning issue of, what to do?  Well, in a time of crisis, along with the knowledge that we were invited to a barbecue the next day, we got busy preparing all sorts of food in anticipation.

I took Olive to a butchers that I found hidden away in Greenwich called Drings, which turned out to be exactly what I was hoping for; a traditional family butcher that can survive off of capitalism due to location in the middle of a wealthy class within London's nomenclature.  Not to mean that they cost an arm and a leg, but they get good trade, and sell quality meat you know its heritage of for about 5-15% more than you would expect to pay in a supermarket.  For that, I'm more than happy to be more responsible with my carnivorous instincts, as well as support a local business over Asda's.

"I'll have a brown cake after I have the sparkly cake first. Okay?"
While waiting, I got to show Olive some of the cuts, and tell her what they were, and where they come from.  She told her Nana about this when we got home, so I was glad she remembered parts of it... and wasn't too disturbed when I pointed out that a bunny rabbit was being chopped up for someone.

In all, I bought 4 home made 'Jubilee Sausages', and 6x Cumberland Sausages; 6 Chinese Style Ribs; 1lb of mince pork and 5lbs of mince beef (I was drawn in by a special offer, 5lbs for £12.99).  I didn't spend a great deal, but then passed the fishmonger and cheese shop in succession before getting back to the car, so ended up spending the rest of my weeks money.  I'll have good dreams though.

So,  what has been made this weekend?  I made homemade burgers, with buns.  Julia made lots of cakes and her new favourite 'Yuck Tart'.  The burgers were a little 'make-it-up-on-the-spot', but they did the trick, being full of flavour, and packing a swift slap to the face courtesy of a Scotch Bonnet:

  • Made 10 burgers
    • 400g Mince Beef
    • 200g Mince Pork
    • 2 1/2 tablespoons Paprika
    • 2 Cloves Garlic (mine were roasted with my Garlic Roaster)
    • 1 Red Onion
    • 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
    • 1 Scotch Bonnet Pepper
    • Rosemary and Thyme
    • Salt and Pepper for seasoning
Helping with making the buns
To make,  chop the veg up finely, and mix it well with the two minces.  The Pork should keep it lubricated for flavour, and the rest should add extra flavour to the already tasty beef.  If unsure, make a tiny sample, and fry it off to taste.  Or, to be just greedy, as you made them in the first place.
The buns were a simple case of 750g Strong White bread flour; a knob of salted butter; 3 teaspoons of dried yeast; 450ml of water (hand temperature, so it doesn't feel hot, nor cold), and a lot of patience kneading the dough, and waiting for it to do the next phase.

"I'm only looking at it Mummy"
Julia is keeping the Yuck Tart recipe close at hand at the moment, but, once I prise it out of her, you'd be happy.  My understanding of it is a Swiss roll sponge with a layer of Blackberry Jam, followed by Marscarpone Cheese (mixed with condensed milk and lemon juice), followed off by a blackberry jelly glaze.  She makes it look easy, and no-one has rejected it to my eyes yet.


It certainly cries out "eat me!"

The Yuck Tart.  I dare anyone to say no when they look at it
Some other cakes by another friend for the barbecue

I almost forgot.  Olive's Nana bought her a bird feeder to put up outside her bedroom window.  She simply loves it, and it didn't take too long before we got our first regular feeder.  I'm sitting there in anticipation that I can announce there are a pair of Great Tits outside the bedroom window one day.  Childish it may be, but it will be done if the moment allows.



The first of many tits appearing at the window daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment