Tuesday 17 July 2012

Peeping Through Doors of Explorers Huts. Somewhere Far. Somewhere Cold.

It has to be said, and cannot be denied, I have a little part in me that loves to read and see the challenges conquered by explorers throughout the ages.  Today, I came across an article that has shown that Google street view has gone that extra mile and reached the South Pole.  You can feel free to take a couple of steps around the pole itself, taking in the surrounding vista's of the snow on a good day

The one little thing I truly loved was getting to spend a little time gandering around the huts of Shackleton and Scott.  Mention polar exploration, and those names are two that would come to mind.  I wouldn't want to imagine what spending a year or longer in a place like those would have been like.  Six months of darkness outside with raging storms of temperatures I don't want to imagine.  Little inside other than your companions, plenty of boxes of Coleman's Flour, tins of food mounted on walls, and the odour of pipe smoke throughout.  The huts have been preserved, as they were discovered, with socks hanging up, and deer hide sleeping bags and the like.


I don't have any ideas of going to such a place, but I feel this offers another perspective from flicking through the age old photo's in books, which may not appeal to some.

Shackleton's Hut
 And let's face it, if it was anywhere else on this planet where the temperatures do not reach something obscenely cold on a good day (I cannot conjure an adjective to describe a bad day).  You would be more than happy to spend time in a place planning your next expedition.

Scott's Hut
The closest I will get to Captain Scott, is playing cricket for the Captain Scott's Invitational XI.  A couple of seasons ago, I had a batting average higher than my highest score there.  Yet again though, I digressed.

I almost forgot.  You can also walk with the Penguins

Not a bad view, just very cold
Links can be found below:


All pictures are cut from Google Street View

No comments:

Post a Comment